Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2010 22:43:31 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
To:        Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guruplug Server Plus working to some extent... [mge1 problem SOLVED]

On Saturday 30 October 2010 15:02:43 Rafal Jaworowski wrote:
> On 2010-10-27, at 22:59, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 October 2010 18:44:23 Rafal Jaworowski wrote:

[snip]

> > One issue still remains - mge1 has no unique ether address, all-zero is
> > set upon reboot unless explicitly set in dts. This is small issue for
> > me, need not be resolved urgently.
>
> This issue is not easily resolved in general. U-Boot would only initialize
> MAC address in registers of an Ethernet controller, which was used at
> least once. If an Ethernet controller unit is not used at the U-Boot stage
> its MAC address registers remain uninitialized. Now, in our case the OS
> can only learn about MAC address either from DT or (in case there are all
> 0's) fall back to whatever was set by the firmware.

For now I found simple and effective solution (maybe not nice, but that's just
matter of taste, anyway). I modified U-Boot's environment, so now there are
following variables set:

bootcmd=setenv ethact egiga1; ${x_bootcmd_ethernet}; setenv ethact egiga0;
${x_bootcmd_ethernet}; tftpboot kernel.bin; go 800000

x_bootcmd_ethernet=ping 192.168.16.1

ipaddr=192.168.16.5/24

serverip=192.168.16.133

This is not permanent and nice solution, but sufficient for now. This way,
firmware sets both interfaces' ether address.

Milan