Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 15:14:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <11871.855990294@critter.dk.tfs.com> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> : Theo belives he can export anything just because he is in Canada.
>
> He can.  That's what Candian law states.  He's looked into it.  More
> importantly, others unrelated to the OpenBSD project have looked into
> it and have recieved the necessary permissions to export their
> cryptographic code.

This is true:
Item 1000 in the ECL is a General Technology Note (GTN) and a General
Software Note (GSN). These notes permit the export of "software" or
"technology" that is "in the public domain", and also permit the export of
"basic scientific research". "In the public domain" simply means that
there are no distribution restrictions. FreeBSD applies, I believe.

Since I am Canadian, it is legal for me to export Cryptography (with
the exception of a few countries..) software and 'technology'. I would
certainly be willing to distribute FreeBSD software on my server -
including DES (the Canadian version). On that note, I'm a little curious..
our laws state that the exprted software must be >50% Canadian Content...
The DES package, for example, is only 15% US, so it can be exported (along
with Kerberos, and SFS). I wonder how they define Canadian content...

Okay, I live in Canada.. what if I gave access to my 'canadian machines'
to US developers - would the final code be considered Canadian? It was
developed "in Canada", since the machines on are Canadian soil. I'm going
to check into this, since it could be a great way to get around moronic US
export laws! Perhaps the bodies must me in Canada as well - I'll check. At
any rate, it only applies in the case that US developers work on
cryptography software - since the US has prosecuted Canadians for
exporting US cryptography, the government warns. If people from more
enlightened governments develop on Canadian machines, everything is okay
and I can export to
my hearts content. Sort of similar to the Canada/Cuba thing and the US
gov. bitching about extradited US property being 'illegally' used by
Canadian business (tell ya' what, if America gives back the British
capitals seized during the American revolution, Canada/Cuba will give
back the US capitals seized during the Cuban revolution...).

Anways, I'm going to research the Canadian export laws some more, and see
how anal my gov. really is. It might be necessary to move the main FreeBSD
distribution out of the US if the US gov. doesn't smarten up soon. A site
in Europe and one in Canada would server both continents.

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
	"I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity."
						Cicero (106-43 B.C.)