Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 13:14:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>, ac199@hwcn.org, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, nick@foobar.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem reports closed by Poul-Henning Kamp [was: Re: misc/6712]

> I have a better suggestion: don't commit fixes to either -stable or
> -current unless you are prepared to commit to both.  Obviously this rule

But that model breaks down for a lot of situations.  I don't want to
encourage people to just slam-bam commit everything into -stable that
goes into -current since it's:

    A) inappropriate in a number of cases (there are quite a few
       things which will NEVER be merged to -stable and should not be)

    B) not something which should happen until something has been
       TESTED in -current first.

Merging has to happen, yes, but in only a structured way which has
committers willing to make notes to themselves about committing things
into -stable after a suitable grace period and/or only when it's
clearly suitable to -stable.

- Jordan