Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 23:10:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new rc.diskless{1,2} files

> }    P.S. To anyone who wants to cleanup the rc.diskless files,
> }    please be my guest!  I wrote them originally and they worked
> }    'ok', but then some people mangled them and ever since they
> }    haven't worked right.  I don't have time to clean them up
> }    myself.  They could use a complete rewriting, IMHO.

I might be one of the guilty ones :) but i have to say, they
seem to work fine on 3.1, 3.3 and even when i tried them on 4.2
they had no problem (except some glitches with mount_null
which at least in 3.1 did not handle too well mmap calls
as used by "cp").

In order to create a shared readonly root partition I use a
script which is available at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/clone_root.010401

and basically nothing else. The modified copies of files which
have to replace the original ones in the root partition
are taken from /conf/${IP} or /conf/${SUBNET} or /conf, where
$IP and $SUBNET are the IP address and the local broadcast address
of the first configured network interface. The code in /etc/rc.diskless1
tries to find the longest match from the above.

This lets you centralize the configurations, and yet have
separate configuration files.
It helps a lot to have not just variable assignments in /etc/rc.conf
(typically a "case" statement to do per-machine settings.)

Other than that -- I'd be happy to review (and use!) your changes.

	cheers
	luigi