Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 14:51:25 +0100
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>, "Pete French" <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Its really not my lucky day with XFRee86-4 is it!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete French" <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To: <dmlb@dmlb.org>; <stable@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 2:44 PM

> > Is this not horizontal video timings being out a little? Try and use
> > xvidtune and shift the screen right a
> > little. I can get tearing of windows even if the left hand side of the
> > screen looks okay,
>
> Interesting Idea. I did run xvidtune, but cant make the effect go away.
> I set all the parameters back to precisely what they were on the previous
> configuration of XFree86 and its still there. I think you are right about
> it being a video artefact though, as it is dependent on the contents of
> the screen line; you can change the effect by placing windows with
differenmt
> content to the right of it.

Are all the dot clocks and timing pulses exactly the same?

Is it a monitor or LCD? If a monitor, have you moved it (magnetic dip)? If
an LCD press
the case around the screen to see if it is the contacts to the LCD itself -
I have a laptop that goes cranky like this with bad contacts.

> I also notice that xvidtune does not alter my XFree86Config file, and that
> the settings I have applied do not appear to persist the next time I run
up
> X11. Which is kind of incidental as it doesnt fix the bug anyway, but does
> concern me a bit. Where should these parameters be stored in the new
> version of X4

There is a button on xvidtune to write a modeline to stdout. You can then
add this
into XF86Config.