Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:57:26 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/include

On 2002-08-09 19:23 +0000, Danny Braniss wrote:

> i've realized for some time nw, that /usr/local/include is not part
> of the default search as in 'cpp -v'

True.  Anything under /usr/local is not part of the 'base system'.
You can even change the default installation path of the ports from
/usr/local to /opt or /pkg.  The ports should still work.  Since the
system compiler can not have any reliable way of determing if it's
/usr/local or some other path that it should automagically search for
includes, it doesn't attempt to provide a "hack for a solution".

> was this always the case for FreeBSD? if so what's the logic?
> im asking because solaris/bsdi/linux all have /usr/local/include in
> the cpp path.

You have to manually specify -I/usr/local/include and -L/usr/local/lib
when you build programs.

- Giorgos