Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 21:19:03 -0400
From:      Bob Collins <pineypl@bellsouth.net>
To:        "Lloyd, John" <jlloyd@wpb.nuwc.navy.mil>
Cc:        freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: South Florida Newbies

"Lloyd, John" wrote:
> Depends upon how loosely one defines  "South Florida", I suppose.
> residence is actually in the Bahamas (Andros Island, near enough).

Must be a terrible thing to be in the Bahamas! ;) West Palm is nice. I
grew up here.

> homebuilt Vegetron-, uh, Celeron-based machine that I had originally
> configured for BeOS.  (I'm one of those masochists who enjoy mucking around
> with multiple OSes; it's a little like playing Myst, except one might

Funny, one of my best friends calls me "An O/S Fiddle _ucker!" He
actually has me aliased to his mail program that way. It makes me
laugh. I too have messed with BeOS, Linux, Novell, and SCO. I really
like the Be, but do not like the wackiness in networking. With the
DSL, it seems to require often restarts of networking.

> Although the FreeBSD installation process seemed to have gone smoothly
> enough at first, it now looks as if there will be a bit of a learning curve

 The FreeBSD was a very smooth install for me, it was very similar to
my first Slackware Linux install. I am quite fond of the FeeBSD.org
pages. Many good links there. Yes, the learning curve is rather steep,
but seems to be worth it. I am having good luck with Samba and Apache.
I am going to put my FBSD box into my office environment for some
additional secure storage (well, more secure than NT) and to test
Apache versus IIS for speed and stability. Should prove to be fun.

> Will comment further after I figure out how to get XFree86 working with my

I am using KDE when I must have a gui, but an getting quite comfy at
the command line and using the regular stuff. I must admit, I am
shying away from the gui because I am running (IMHO) a marginal
machine. P-133, 64MB. But, in my basic simple Apache vs IIS tests,
this marginal machine runs better than IIS on a PIII-533, 512. Go
figure.

> software from the 4.0 CD-ROMs.  (In this case, RTFM didn't do much good.

'nuff said.

> Comments at truly annoying length will have to wait a while, as I'm taking
> off this week for a month's vacation and the FreeBSD box isn't coming with

Enjoy. BTW, where does one go to get away from the Bahamas? Quite the
conundrum methinks.

--
Bob Collins (Powered by M42 on the road)