Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:14:21 -0500
From:      Brian Jackson <b.k.jackson@verizon.net>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Samba problems

Hi -

  I would check to make sure that Samba is configured to use encrypted
passwords:

  1.    Did you create the SMB Password file?
  2.    Did you modify smb.conf with the correct parameters?

you should have:

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /usr/local/etc/private/smbpasswd (or wherever it's hiding)

I ran into this problem with my XP box - I guess that original MS OS's
(95, etc) had unencrypted passwords, so Samba doesn't use encryption by
default.

Brian

b.k.jackson@verizon.net