Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Weiguang SHI <weiguang_shi@hotmail.com>
Cc:        semenu@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel stack size

yes you could do that but N is still goin gto be small when compared to
teh size of a userland stack, and all upages come out of a KVM
object which is limitted. When we get threads, we have to be able to have
a hundred stacks per process if things get silly.

Actually in teh KSE kernel I'm working on UPAGES is defined as
(UAREA_PAGES+KSTATCK_PAGES)
so increasing KSTACK_PAGES (presently 1)
is what you would want to do..
it's still bad practice (particularly on 4.x) to put a lot of stuff on the
kernel stack.
Also, remember that if you are writing a device driver,
the interrupt half of your driver will not always run on the same stack as
the top half, so things that are passed between them can't be stored
there..
(not to mention if the process gets swapped out)