Date:      Tue, 17 May 2016 00:36:51 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best practice for high availability ZFS pool

--Apple-Mail=_E981C4D9-6449-4B12-B476-356B0F43A9DD

> 16 maj 2016 kl. 15:51 skrev Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>:
>=20
>=20
>> On 16 May 2016, at 12:08, Palle Girgensohn <girgen@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> We need to set up a ZFS pool with redundance. The main goal is high =
availability - uptime.
>>=20
>> I can see a few of paths to follow.
>>=20
>> 1. HAST + ZFS
>=20
> Which means that a possible corruption causing bug in ZFS would =
vaporize the data of both replicas.
>=20
>> 3. ZFS replication (zfs snapshot + zfs send | ssh | zfs receive)
>=20
> If you don=E2=80=99t have a hard requirement for synchronous =
replication (and, in that case, I would opt for a more application
> aware approach) it=E2=80=99s the best method in my opinion.

That was exactly my thought 18 months ago, and we set up two systems =
with zfs snapshot + zfs send | ssh | zfs receive. It works, but the =
problem is it just too slow and a complete sync takes like 10 minutes =
for all the file systems. We are forced to sync the file systems one at =
a time to get the kind of control and separation we need. Even if we =
could speed that up somehow, we are really looking for a more recilient =
system. Also, constant snapshotting and writing makes scrub very slow so =
we need to tune down the amount of syncing every fourth week-end to =
scrub. It's OK but not optimal, so we're pondering for something better.

My first choice is really HAST at the moment, but I also dont find much =
written in the last couple of years, apart from some articles about =
setting it up in very minimal testbeds or posts about performance and =
stability troubles. This makes me wonder, is HAST actively maintained? =
Is it stable, used and loved by the community? I'd love to hear some =
success stories with farily large installations of at least 20 TB or so.

Palle