Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:27:38 +0100
From:      Robert bobb Crosbie <bobb+freebsd-isp@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        Wincent Colaiuta <wincentcolaiuta@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache + disk quotas loophole?

Wincent Colaiuta hath declared on Friday the 28 day of June 2002  :-:

> But if his website is dynamic and apache is writing files to the disk
> for him (pages, files etc), won't they be created as user "nobody" or
> "www" files (or whatever the server is running as) and hence will they
> be omitted from the quota restriction?

Yeah pretty much,
You could enable the SuEXEC wrapper in apache so that the cgi's
run as the user who ownes them, then the files they create will
also be owned by that user.

> And a related question... how would I include MySQL storage in the quota
> also? (Same problem there, all MySQL db files are owned by "mysql").

I don't know of any direct way to do this through mysql.
(mysql.com is also down at the moment...)

You could put a filesize limit on the mysql processes so that
no db files could grow above that size, I immagine that this
would have a negative effect on mysql once they reached that size.

You could try changing the owner.group of the database files to
username.group and have them group writeable so that mysqld can
write to them, you would have to do this manually whenever a database
or table was created, which would mean that you would have to restrict
the create table privilage from your users. (perhaps a CGI wrapper...)
This would probably have a negative effect on mysql when the quota
is reached.

- bobb