Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:48:34 -0600
From:      robert@rrbrussell.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS upgrade loader actions -- is it possible to check before reboot if your system will reboot cleanly?

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023, at 18:40, Dan Mahoney (Ports) wrote:
> I was reading a couple recent threads (one about upgrading from 13.2 t=
o 14) and another more virtiolic
> thread about how terrible, awful, no-good our documentation is.  I don=
=E2=80=99t agree with this. =20
>=20
> I shied away from Linux for years because of nonfunctional man pages, =
or man pages that someone
> bothered to write, but then to only point to a postscript file on disk=
, or to point at an =E2=80=9Cinfo=E2=80=9D file.
> I mused regularly that it=E2=80=99s sad that =E2=80=9CThe Linux Docume=
ntation Project=E2=80=9D website is in fact a whole
> different website from =E2=80=9CThe Linux Project=E2=80=9D=E2=80=A6or =
any hundred of Linux Projects. =20
>=20
> Anyway, both threads talked about zpool upgrades and needing to update=
 your bootloader. I was recently
> bitten by this, requiring my datacenter to put a physical disc in a dr=
ive for me to recover from.  (And
> I even had to ship them a USB cdrom drive =E2=80=94 don=E2=80=99t get =
me started on supermicro=E2=80=99s virtual media
> implementation.  it=E2=80=99s bad).
>=20
> I understand that printing the raw commands to upgrade your boot loade=
r (and/or your pmbr) as part of
> the output of a successful =E2=80=9Czpool upgrade=E2=80=9D is probably=
 a bad idea, as the commands are not
> one-size-fits-all, but having a special manpage for this process, spec=
ifically (and having zpool
> upgrade point at that page) might be useful.=20
>=20
> If the handbook doesn=E2=80=99t say something about this process, then=
 it should as well.
>=20
> But also, it would be really nice to be able to poll the version of th=
e various components that are
> actually installed on the system (the boot loader, and even the pmbr i=
f you have one) and see if
> they=E2=80=99re current and can support the current version of your bo=
ot pool.
>=20
> I don=E2=80=99t know if this is possible.  Gpart bootcode, for example=
, only has a command to *install* the
> bootcode, not read it back.  Since the loader and the mbr are tiny, hi=
ghly optimized pieces of code, I
> don=E2=80=99t know if there are any strings that can be examined to se=
e if they match the running system.  But
> if the tools don=E2=80=99t exist, they should =E2=80=94 even absent an=
y version strings, if nothing else, gpart
> bootcode should be able to non-intrusively compare a file with the alr=
eady existing one.
>=20
> Does anyone know for sure?
>=20
> -Dan

There are at least 4 different types of documentation.
* Developer API documentation
* User interface documentation
* How to/Example documentation
* FAQs

>From my point of view Linux is better bottom up and FreeBSD is better to=
p down. Though that is an issue for your request because the current boo=
t loader documentation definitely has a more developer bent to it.