Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:17:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW question with options and fwd rule

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Don Bowman wrote:

> If I create a rule to 'fwd' packets with a particular TCP option
> set (or IP option) to a specific local port, and then I accept
> on that port, will subsequent packets without that option work?
>
> ie, I have this:
>
> 100 fwd localhost,9000 tcp from any to any 1234 tcpoptions ts recv interface
>
> SYN (TCP option SACK=1), Dest port=5555, Dest ip = random-host
> SYN/ACK
> ACK (no TCP options)
>
> will the first SYN reach me? (yes I think, even though the IP is not mine
> and

well, no, because 5555 != 1234 :-)
but, assuming that your rule said 5555, then it would only reach you if
it has the ts option set.

to be forwarded a packet must match teh rule..
subsequent packewts must ALSO match the rule.

you could use dynamic rules to match subsequent packets I think, but
I've never used them.