Date:      17 Sep 2002 23:11:30 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        "Riley J. McIntire" <rileyjmc@pacbell.net>
Cc:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, sendmail-questions@sendmail.org
Subject:   RE: After editing freebsd.mc, how do I use this m4 processor?

--=-XX77WyOhB5ziSN0OH0Eh

Thank you all for the overwhelming response to my post :-)

As I mentioned to an earlier replier, These last few minutes has opened
up a new, refreshing appreciation of FreeBSD to me.=20
The simplicity of this concept that escaped me is almost embarrassing,
but worth it in the end.

Thank you all once again!

Stacey

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 22:42, Riley J. McIntire wrote:
> > These would have been installed at the last time I recompiled the
> > kernel. I'm fairly comfortable in editing these files as required, but =
> > am pretty certain that after editing freebsd.mc (so as to define
> > masquerading, default gateway, etc), I am supposed to use m4 to generat=
> > a new freebsd.cf, which in turn is copied to sendmail.cf, thus producin=
> > a new configuration file for sendmail to read upon restart.
> >
> > This is what I know of sendmail (back in v8.8x & 8.9x) under AIX and
> > Sequent Dynix/ptx. Has this procedure since been deprecated for FreeBSD=
,
> > that I am now aware of?
> >
> > Thanks again for the reply.
> >
> > Stacey
>=20
> Not deprecated, but streamlined.  If I understand you correctly, in
> /etc/mail, copy freebsd.mc to your.machine.name.mc, then do your editing =
on
> it.
>=20
> make will run your.machine.name.mc through m4 to produce
> your.machine.name.cf.
>=20
> make install will cp the above to sendmail.cf.  make restart will read th=
> new .cf files.
>=20
> Much easier than the old method.
>=20