Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:45:10 +1100
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alistair M <tlli@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: raid1 on vinum

On Wednesday, 27 September 2000 at 12:23:39 -0500, Alistair M wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 27 September 2000 at 11:19:49 -0500, Alistair M wrote:
>>> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>

>>> I did as you said, and created the volumes with "setupstate".
>>> I was unable to move /dev/ad2 and /dev/ad3 to /dev/ad1 and /dev/ad2
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean here.
>>
>>> I placed everything in /dev/ad2a and want to mirror to /dev/ad3a.
>>>
>>> All the volumes were set up properly, and plexes were in the 'up' state
>>> after doing a: vinum create -f /etc/vinum.cfg.
>>>
>>> I edited /etc/rc.conf and added start_vinum="YES".
>>>
>>> I then executed:
>>> vinum start
>>> and I got some error saying:
>>> /kernel: vinum: no drives found
>>
>> That sounds reasonable if Vinum is already running.  'vinum start'
>> just goes looking for new drives.
>>
>>> ** mp drives found: No such file or directory
>>> /kernel: vinum: no drives found
>>>
>>> I executed it again and I got this message:
>>> /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad3s1a
>>> /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad2s1a
>>>
>>> What is going on?
>>
>> I don't know.  You should have got the same message again.  You also
>> haven't described anything that is obviously a problem.  But you
>> haven't really given me enough information to tell.  Take a look at
>> vinum(4) or http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and give me
>> the information I ask for there.
>
> Hi again,
>
> this is what my partitions look like:
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset  fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   a: 37748736        0  vinum                  	# (Cyl.    0 - 2349*)
>   b:  2283960 37748736   swap                  	# (Cyl. 2349*- 2491*)
>   c: 40032696        0 unused     0     0      	# (Cyl.    0 - 2491*)
>

> /dev/ad3
> 8 partitions:
> #        size offset fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   a: 40032696      0  vinum                    	# (Cyl.    0 - 2491*)
>   c: 40032696      0 unused      0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 2491*)

Fine.

> This is my vinum.cfg:

Please read http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html:

What information to supply

   If you need to contact me because of problems with Vinum, please send
   me a mail message with the following information:

       Supply the output of the vinum list command. If you can't start
       Vinum, supply the on-disk configuration, as described below. If
       you can't start Vinum, then (and only then) send a copy of the
       configuration file.

   What not to supply

   Please don't supply the following information unless I ask for it:

       Your Vinum configuration file, unless your problem is that you
       can't start Vinum at all.

> Here is some output from /var/log/messages after doing a vinum create:
> (snip: looks OK)
>
> Everything seems fine so far.

I can't tell yet.

> When I do a vinum start -w, I get an error saying it can't find any
> vinum drives.

I don't see that in the output.

> With the -w switch it is supposed to wait for the operation to
> complete. It doesn't so I am assuming that it isn't copying the data
> over from ad2 to ad3.

I don't know what you're doing, but I'm pretty sure you're doing it
wrong.

> My problem is I don't know where to go from here. How do I get the
> data from ad2 to ad3 once I have configured vinum (or have
> I?!?!). If I reboot my machine at this stage, I just get a whole lot
> of garbage on the screen and it justs hangs.

Your problem is that you're not supplying the information I ask for.
Please do so.  Until you do, I do not intend to reply.

> At that stage I have been reinstalling FreeBSD4.1.

That is almost always the wrong thing to do.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.