Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:04:10 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Frank Cameron <fjcameron@hotmail.com>
Cc:        zombie@isni.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password lengths.

> >I am relatively new to encryption with passwords and I am in the process of
> >switching from a BSDi 4.1 machine to a FreeBSD 4.2 stable.  I want to
> >transfer the password list over but I need compatibility for +8 character
> >passwords.  Do you have any ideas.
> >As far as I know, The BSDi machine is running with DES encryption and I
> >dread the thought of reentering, by hand, all 2k user names and passwords.

FreeBSD works with both DES and MD5 crypts...
So long as you install the crypto dist files all should work fine!

Infact DES is the default encryption used on FreeBSD 4.2 when you install
the crypto dist... And the password format can be set in the /etc/login.conf
file, just read man login.conf for details!

Good Luck
Kal.