Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:59:29 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as NetBSD!!!

At 10:09 PM -0800 2/10/05, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>  > While you seem determined to pretend that Robert Watson is
>  > somehow the sole person interested in this, let me note I am
>  > one of the FreeBSD committers who would like to see some new
>  > ideas for a logo.
>
>Good.  At least you have my respect now for growing some balls
>and admitting it publically.

I'm glad you are quick to show just how irrationally inflammatory
you are when it comes to this issue.

>Would the rest of the anti-beastie committers please come out
>of the bushes now?

PHK has commented in one of these threads.  DES has also commented.
One other committer commented (who I can't remember at the moment).
And you love to scream about the evil Robert Watson (*), and how
this is his personal double-secret plot, so I assume he must have
commented.

And frankly, most FreeBSD commiters do not read the -advocacy or
-questions mailing lists (I never read advocacy, for instance).  So
maybe only three or four committers have explicitly expressed support
for a LOGO CONTEST.  How many committers have responded here saying
just how much they hate the idea of even running the contest?

And let me say once again, this is FOR a LOGO contest -- which is
not the same as being "Anti-beastie".  All of us have said that
the Beastie will remain as a mascot.  Kirk and GNN are not going
to recall their recent FreeBSD book simply to change the nicely-
drawn Beastie on that cover to some simple FreeBSD logo.  We keep
saying the Beastie remains as a mascot, and you keep talking out
of your ass, with its over-abundance of flying black helicopters

(* - aside: it's funny how one of the other lists is praising Robert
for his high-quality and informative posts, and all the hard work
he has done on FreeBSD in the past few months.  Those people are
talking about making an archive about every one of his posts for
future reference, because he constantly contributes so much useful
information to end-users.  But let someone suggest that he MIGHT be
in favor of this PUBLIC CONTEST for a FreeBSD logo, and immediately
some ungrateful bastard is treating Robert like he is evil incarnate.
It is amazing just how pathetic your memory is when it comes to
people who contribute so much to this project -- and you do that in
defense of a cartoon image.  It's a pity you have more respect for
the cartoon than for the developers who work on the source code)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org