Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 17:22:58 -0700
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        lukin@okbmei.msk.su, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: ldap-3.3

Pat,

My choice of words, in particular the word "update",
was probably not appropriate.  It stems for the fact
that OpenLDAP is largely an update of Umich 3.3 and
that the construction of an OpenLDAP port would,
I hope, a cut-and-paste effort.

OpenLDAP should be a new port.

In terms of naming, I would prefer any OpenLDAP port
actually be named OpenLDAP (or openldap).  I feel that
users looking for a specific package should be able to
find it under its known name.  If I found BSD-Free
listed somewhere, I don't think I would necessarily
identify it containing being FreeBSD.

I believe ports/packages should only be renamed if a
conflict arises with other packages OR it does not
fit within existing naming conventions.

Kurt