Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:54:35 -0600
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, Dan Moschuk <dm@globalserve.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNOME

On 20 March 1999 at 22:33, patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:
> The problem is that the ports aren't making changes that are visible
> to the dependancy tests.

In which case we have to fix the dependency test.

For example, imlib is now built with GTK 1.2.  If one has a port
that depends upon imlib, ideally it should be rebuilt even though
imlib's interface did not change.  To force this to happen, we
bumped the imlib library number.

> In some cases it is because a port is changing
> rapidly enough that it doesn't make sense to bump up a library version
> number; but in others, the test is for the existance of a file whose
> name is not expected to change across versions.  In general, the updated
> versions are expected to be backwards compatible.  But when they contain
> significant bug fixes, failing to update them can make the higher-level
> ports look flakey.
>
> These aren't easy things to fix because it isn't at all obvious what the
> right fix is.

I know.  But just because it isn't easy doesn't mean we can't try.
With 2,141 ports, it is very easy for any particular port to get
neglected.  So bug reports on these things are important, as is
nag mail to the maintainers.

That said, when I have trouble building a port, the first thing I
do is manually check the dependencies and consider rebuilding them.

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org