Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:14:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, jlk@pavilion.co.uk
Subject:   Re: probing scsi bus after boot?

> As Josef Karthauser wrote:
>
> > Either I use rmt, but I've not found a way of rmt'ing as root on the
> > remote site (please someone let me out of my misery.)
>
> ~root/.rhost
>
> It would be neat to see ssh support for this, though.
>
> > 	# scsi -f /dev/rst0 -p
> > 	scsi: unable to open device /dev/rst0: Device not configured
>
> Chicken-and-egg problem.  Don't use -p btw., use -r.  But still, you
> need at least one device that has been successfully probed on your
> SCSI bus before, in order to hook the `rescan' ioctl into the kernel
> (any device fits, so you could pick /dev/rsd0.ctl).
>
> NB: this used to hang your machine with various SCSI adapters in the
> past, but recent 2.2 (and -current) systems seem to work well with it.

Once you've compiled with ssc:

> device      ssc0 at scbus? #SCSI control device

Make the scsi control device (minor number 49:

> mknod c 49 0 /dev/scsi.ctl

And apply a "probe all" to it:

> scsi -f /dev/scsi.ctl -p

Once in the past it would have reprobed all devices
on your SCSI bus.  I'm building a kernel to find out what it does
today.

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936