Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 11:15:22 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        bbrummer@solar.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup

Bernardo M. Brummer wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I would like to upgrade a 4.4 box (and all apps, including KDE 3) to 4.6.
>
> a) I never had good results with CVS:
> 1. New sources were loaded in different directories, which brought compiling
> problems.
> 2. Upgraded system wouldn't make world.
> 3. If I managed to run making world, it wouldn't recompile a new kernel.
> 4. If I managed to recompile a new kernel, it would only recompile the
> GENERIC source.
> 5. The updated system wouldn't run newer apps. (only the ones meant for the
> original system).
>
> b) Updating from iso CD. It updates OK (after some tries) but:
> 1. Update will refuse to update kernel sources, so I can't make world again.
> 2. Upgraded system becomes less stable.
> 3. KDE will run but with lots of warning messages and leaking memory.
>
> The problem is: that the documentation one finds (handbook, etc) is
> outdated, and: CVS, makeworld and/or kernel building is done differently in
> each version.
> New CVS, makeworld and kernel source merging/upgrading command/switches, are
> included or modified from version to version, and as result we have to try
> out a number to see the ones that may work.
>
> c) Therefore, best results were (in the past I hope) just to make a fresh
> installation.
>
> Now the question is: where can I find reliable information on how to upgrade
> [4.4 (and all apps, including KDE 3) to 4.6] in less than 12 hours, or
> should I better make a fresh install ??.\

The authoritative write up is chapter 19.4.1 in the Handbook. It also
points you to /usr/src/UPDATING; however, the pertinent lines in
UPDATING are now down around 420 or so.

Since you don't say what kind of hardware you have, no one can guess
how long a source based upgrade will take. A full upgrade of my system
on an AMD 1600+ XP is around 45 minutes and that includes the cvsup of
src-all for tag=RELENG_4 through the reboot after running mergemaster.

An upgrade of the ports to kde-3 is much slower. You would want to
upgrade to XFree86-4.2 at the same time. There is no easy way to do
this. This part of your upgrade could easily require 12 hours. You
probably could upgrade to XFree86-4.2 and kde-3 using packages. How
long it takes to download the tarballs is a function of the network
bandwidth.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart