Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:48:22 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Doug Poland <dpoland@execpc.com>
Cc:        "Dimitri T." <midios4@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X windows remotely?

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 09:37:03AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:

> On the Xserver as root# xhost Xclient_machine_name
> Then, launch you X apps with the -display switch, i.e.,

I don't know why you're doing that as root, but in any case
xhost is an insecure mechanism and we should not encourage new
users to learn it.  It does not differentiate between different
users on the client machine.  That's why my friends and I wasted
hours of our undergraduate lives changing each other's backgrounds
and putting xroach, etc., on each other's displays.

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth.html for an overview of
X authentication methods.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Inertia is a property