Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 01:51:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: avoiding circular route problems when changing data providers (advice needed)

> Doing so leaves data from the new provider's ip space on our network heading
> out to the internet via the old data provider's router due to the existing
> default route.  And then coming back through the new provider's router.

First, let's visualize what you're setting up- is this correct?

     [Prov-old]---\
                 [FBSD]---{internal network}
     [Prov-new]---/

   What I'd do (and in this is what we did at my job when we were in a
similar situation) is config up IP addresses and set up routes for your
internal machines to guaranty that those packets never leave your internal
network. You don't care about the source, you care about the destination.

   You probably already have something roughly equivalent to:
'route add {prov-old-block} {localif}'

   So all you should need to do is add:
'route add {prov-new-block} {localif}'

   Perhaps not appropriate to your situation, and perhaps I'm showing my
network ignorance, but KISS - and this is much simpler than what you seem
to be proposing.

-=Jim=-