Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:05:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        William Wallace <ww@austin.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Kernel log message

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, William Wallace wrote:

 > Thanks to all who replied.  Just as an additional interesting piece of
 > information:  Because the machine in question was in a state that made it
 > easy to simply wipe it out and re-install everything from scratch, I decided
 > to do just that.  Upon reinstalling the OS and rebooting, I got a kernel log
 > message in my FreeBSD server that indicated the "opposite" MAC address
 > change.  It changed from "00:00:78:0d:5a:7f" back to "00:20:78:0d:5a:7f",

That's still a one-bit error.  In my humble experience, one-bit errors
are almost invariably hardware.  If so, then I guess this is off-topic.

 > which is what it was originally.  I'm suspicious now of some kind of
 > malicious software or something, but it's going to be hard to determine what
 > exactly made that happen.

Did you try cleaning the NIC in question, and the computer it lives in?

[..]

 > >The machine in question (192.168.100.2) is a Windows 2000 machine that has
 > >had the same NIC for years.  Also, only one of the digits in the MAC
 > >address seems to have changed.  What could cause this?
 > >

 > 1) The NIC card could be dieing. "same NIC for years"
 > 2) Transmission error of some sort on you LAN
 > 3) Problem w/ a packet switch.

Still smells like hardware to me too; fluff and dust can engender such.

Cheers, Ian