Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:13:35 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How Can I Get My WaveLAN/Orinoco Card Operational ?

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 12:45:21PM -0500, The Jetman wrote:
> > Also, I noticed you are using encryption.  Is that mandatory, and are
> > you sure about entering the key in hex vs. ascii?
> >

>     WEP is mandatory, otherwise the wi0 doesn't get a carrier.  I've
> tried using a key in ASCII *and* in hex.  The resulting key displayed
> by wicontrol is the same....

Exqueese me?

wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::230:abff:fe0f:4232%wi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
        inet 192.168.1.25 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        ether 00:30:ab:0f:42:32
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid linksys 1:""
        stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
        channel 6 authmode NONE powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

I haven't gotten around to setting up WEP yet.  I turned the linksys
on, booted FreeBSD, loaded if_wi and set my IP.  It worked.

I'm considering not setting up WEP and using IPSec.  So far, I haven't
noticed anybody finding me yet.  It's only a matter of time.  I'll have
to lock it down eventually.

I use SSH/SSL for all my sensitive needs.

lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html
3 years Sr. SysAdmin experience with FreeBSD in small & medium size ISPs.