Date:      23 May 2000 14:04:23 +0200
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
To:        <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
Subject:   Ports & Packages (Re: Problem with NFS on FreeBSD 4.0)

 PAH> What I usually do is perform the first-time build and install on
 PAH> the server.  Then, when I need one of the applications in
 PAH> /usr/ports on a different system, I NFS-mount /usr/ports and
 PAH> perform a "make reinstall" to get the application installed, but
 PAH> not built from scratch, on the client.

You know that there is a package target as well? So you can "make
package" to get a package file which you can install with pkg_add.

If you create a directory packages in the ports directory the packages
you create will be put in packages/All with symlinks from the
categories and Latest for your convinience ...  Needless to say, if
you install a package which requires other packages those other
packages are also installed, just like when you /stand/sysinstall or
"make install" / "make reinstall" ...

--
Rasmus Kaj ------------------ rasmus@kaj.a.se - http://Raditex.se/~kaj/
 \                      You can't grep a window - Use a Unix! Any Unix!