Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 21:10:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Basket Case <jon@technix.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
Cc:        M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [1.1.5.1] FreeBSD bootblock corrupted ? & SCSI Aborted Command Errors

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, M C Wong wrote:
> >    I first suspected the mbr corruption, and ran fdisk /mbr upon boot
> > up from a DOS boot disk. That doesn't fix the problem. Now I suspect
>
> 	if you did a dos 'fdisk /mbr', the boot blocks are gone.   this
> is the standare method of removing the boot blocks inorder to reinstall.
>
> > my FreeBSD boot block gets corrupted. Can someone tell me the right
> > command to re-install the bootblock, I remeber something that involve
> > /usr/mdec/sdboot and /usr/mdec/bootsd, but can't remember the exact
> > command.
>
> 	disklabel -w -B [sw]d0

My boot block is currently corrupt and when I try to do the above,
disklabel -w -B sd0 it just prints out the help screen as if I had entered
a parameter incorrectly.  Ive been booting from a floppy disk since then --
is there any way I can re-install a boot block easily?

I also have an error message with my SCSI disk that comes up
occassionally -- once every 1-2 days...:

Nov  6 13:03:33 technix /kernel: sd0(ahc0:6:0) ABORTED COMMAND
info:18681a asc: 40,91  sks: 80,0

I'm using a Adaptec 3940W (with wide mode off as it still doesnt work with
FBSD) with a Quantum Grand Prix XP34301W drive (4.3 gigs)

Any ideas?