Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:16:05 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>
Cc:        "Karl M. Joch" <k.joch@kmjeuro.com>, "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: salesman is thinking.....

Remy NONNENMACHER wrote:

> Writting GPL'ed software is democracy and freedom. Building a consistent GUI
> federating independant software needs (dictature?) and constraints.
>
> Someone feeling OK for becoming the big chief ?

I don't think we need or want to go in that direction. The idea is to
create a port which loads a good starter system with some conservative
specs, i.e., fvwm rather than fvwm2, 640x480, etc., and then runs a
script which -- perhaps visibly -- configures the text files and
explains what it's doing and why. The idea is that we only want to
create a demo of ONE WAY you might set up a FreeBSD machine, and then
lead them into the brave new world of changing it the FreeBSD way. If
somebody wants to create a different demo system, let them! All I want
to do is create that good first impression. I don't want to change the
basic operation, because it's just what I need. I don't want GUI Admin
tools as anything other than a port option. It would ruin the system to
hook them into the core distribution!