Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 15:49:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        andrew@why.whine.com, flaq@synwork.com, mark@hi-fi.com, jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Subject:   Re: Java,Netscape, & AccelX

As Jake Hamby wrote:

> Note: If Java applets fail to display.  Type this as root:
>                 cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
>                 /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir
>                 chmod 444 fonts.dir
>       And then exit and restart your X server.
>
> I tried that, and lo and behold, it worked!  It seems that Netscape needs
> particular font aliases that for some reason XFree86 didn't define
> properly.

mkfontdir doesn't define anything new unless someone has installed new
fonts before.  In the latter case however, the someone who has been
installing them is also responsible for running mkfontdir afterwards.

Aliases are kept in fonts.alias anyway, and are not affected by
mkfontdir at all.

All of this is kinda moot for people running font servers.  (You gotta
reload the fontserver after installing the fonts.)

--
cheers, J"org