Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 23:41:55 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Andrew@dca.net
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (fwd) "kernel: mb_map full" crash (fwd)

>Hello, bugs@freebsd.org.
>
>I posted this to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc a few days ago and didn't get
>an answer.  Since my server crashed again this morning with the same
>error, my sense of urgency has increased and I hope to find out whether I
>have indeed been the unfortunate discoverer of a bug.
>
>Could you please let me know if the problem below is known?

   It's caused by an insufficient number of mbuf clusters being available. You
can increase the mbuf cluster pool size with options "NMBCLUSTERS=1024" (or
2048 or whatever if necessary; each cluster takes 2K of memory). Newer
versions of FreeBSD (including 2.0.5R), have a more dynamic calculation for
this which is based on maxusers.

-DG