Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 95 16:43:20 METDST
From:      marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
To:        rjbproc@vir.com (Robert Burns)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ghostscript and HP Laserjet II

> > GhostScript's printer drivers have an internal notion of margins.  They crop
> > off everything that falls out of them.  I had to reduce right margin on my
> > installation in order not to lose some page space.

> How did you go about doing this?

The hard way :(  I had to edit the driver in question and recompile
ghostscript.  There isn't any other way I could find (and I had the source
anyway, as I'm using gs3+ which cannot be commercially distributed.)

> > The top margin is probably reduced because gs believes that you use different
> > paper size than the one required by .ps file.  It always tries to align
> > bottom margin right.  If the file requires a4, you will have to specify
> > PAPERSIZE=a4 on gs command line.
> >

> I added PAPERSIZE=a4 to unix-lpr.sh but nothing changed.

There is also a file in the ghostscript libraries which specifies the sizes
of standard formats.  I have changed papersizes directly there once.

It may help, but doesn't have to.

> I tried playing around with the resolution, page size, and pixel density
> on tiff2ps and gs commands.
> I did manage to get a good printout only after I changed the following
> line (16) directly in the Postscript file:

> %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
> %%Creator: tiff2ps
> %%Title: fax000142
> %%CreationDate: Tue Sep  5 21:40:54 1995
> %%Origin: 0 0
> %%BoundingBox: 0 0 610 791
> %%Pages: (atend)
> %%EndComments
> %%Page: 1 1
> gsave
> 100 dict begin
> 609.882324 790.530640 scale
> %ImageData: 1728 1076 1 1 0 1 2 "image"
> /scanLine 216 string def
> 1728 1076 1
> [1728 0 0 -1076 0 1076]  	  ---> changed to [1728 0 -50 -1100 0 1076]
> {currentfile scanLine readhexstring pop} bind
> image

Beats me.  I'm PostScript illiterate, however.

But I can try to play a little with tiff2ps and gs, and tell you what goes
on my installation.

/Alby