Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 09:58:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dfr@render.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Potentially serious NFS problem

> On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > Doug, are you there?  8-).
>
> Still here :-)
>
> > I have detected a problem in the NFS server code, though at present I am
> > not certain whether it will manifest as a memory leak or as a double
> > freeing of cn_pnbuf's (which depends on what's meant by VOP_ABORTOP()
> > when called in nfs/nfs_serv.c).

> > I'm not prepared to crack this nut all by myself at present, especially
> > with active work in the NFS code taking place.
>
> I am not currently working on the nfs code.  I think that John is working
> on the client code but not the server.  Feel free to make changes to the
> server side.

While your in there poking around see if why when you kill -1 mountd
on the server if a client is doing I/O at that time it causes an
error to be returned and causes what ever was running to die.

This is a sick bug, it makes FreeBSD unsutable for production NFS
server applications as adding or removing or changing the /etc/exports
file and hupping mountd is a quite standard procedure.

client% tar cf /dev/null server:/foo/bar
server% echo "/new/disk/area -root=0 host1 host2" >>/etc/exports
server% kill -1 `cat /var/run/mountd.pid`
client> BOOM!!!!, it use to panic, that has been fixed, now it returns
        an I/O error to the user land process :-(.