Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 1995 18:02:02 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel book process (was 4m vs. 8m install kernel)

> > I'm not real current in how FreeBSD boots, but I guess
> If you want the $5 tour, look on:

That is more like the Nickel tour.  No real details.  (This
from a fussy old fart (me) who wrote boot-time initialization
code for VMS on the VaxFT3000).

Still, it is consistent with normal bootstrap processing.  I still
think having a tertiary boostrap would do work fine,
and the tertiary bootstrap itself would need be not much larger than
the secondary bootstrap, and would need only a 64 KB buffer, and
could be placed in low memory...  Leaving a full 3MB for the
kernel itself...

You would need as many of these as you had secondary bootstraps.
One for each boot method...

And the nice thing is you would only use it for compressed kernels,
and it would require no changes to the kernel *or* the secondary
bootstrap (except for changing the default bootfile).

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430 Net: witr@rwwa.COM
     R.W. Withrow Associates, 319 Lynnway Suite 201, Lynn MA 01901 USA