Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 13:30:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      "John A. Booth" <john@ulantris.infinop.com>
To:        lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br (Sergio Lenzi)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mb_map full

> > what does this error mean?
>
> You're out of phisical memory in the kernel. (I think).
> > what caused this...remedies...etc
>
> Remedies: recompile the kernel with the option NMBCLUSTERS=xxx
> try xxx=2048,3072,4096 depending on the ammount of memory your
> machine has...

Well...your out of Network Memory Buffers....usually you'll only
encounter the mb_map full message when your on a busy network...try 1024
then go up by 512...1024 will take up 2 meg of the physical machine
memory...so you don't really want to put a very large number for
NMBCLUSTERS.

I had problems with this on a local net that had ~ 200 pc's running
netware clients, 2 NetWare servers, and about 20-30 unix boxes.

You might also look @ netstat -m, it'll show how many mbuf
clusters you have total (this is equivalent to NMBCLUSTERS in your
configuration file.)

I'm on a much less busy net now, but here's what a netstat -m
on my machine looks like.  I could probably drop my NMBCLUSTERS back
down to 1024.

654 mbufs in use:
	589 mbufs allocated to data
	49 mbufs allocated to packet headers
	15 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
	1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
227/2048 mbuf clusters in use
4177 Kbytes allocated to network (12% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
1 requests for memory delayed
1 calls to protocol drain routines