Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 18:26:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wong@rogerswave.ca (Wong)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, roell@blah.a.isar.de, hackers@FreeBSD.org, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

> > Adding AST's would not be as easy as, for instance, replacing the
> > environment space with logical name support.
> >

> yeah, you need kernel support for this. each AST is like a letter
> to the process. kernel has to allocate/de-allocate such a "letter"
> dynamically.
>
> If we can implement that, we are not far from real time unix.

AST's are easy.  It's the stacks they need to run while your program
is already using your only stack that are annoying.

Queued event delivery shouldn't have any impact on how RT the system
is or isn't (maybe I just can't see what you mean...).  Message
passing does not a R.T. system make, in my book...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.