Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:41:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Jeroen Schellart <v932492@si.hhs.nl>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Jeroen Schellart wrote:
>
> > I have reinstalled FreeBSD and when I want to boot it I get the message
> > "Not a bootable partition". I also tried to put my root filesystem on my
> > first drive and the other partitions on my second drive. I have tried
> > using System Commander, OS2 Boot Manager, your own bootmanager, nothing.
>
> Check FDISK and make sure one of your partitions is labelled "active".
>
> I know for a fact that the OS/2 Boot Manager works.  Even to a second disk.

Doug, I was surprised to find that the function keys are mapped to all
partitions, even inactive ones, which means that to boot from the second
disk, you have to hit F5.  At that point, it tells you the new default is
F1 again, but gives the partition name from the 2nd disk, and you hit return.

I think those semantics are kinda confusing, myself.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |