Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 1996 15:36:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Carah <pete@news.interworld.net>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth..

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.961222100130.229S-100000@panda.hilink.com.au> you write:

>Three separate questions here:
>Q1: how many virtual IPs can you put on a FreeBSD box?
>A1: More than 5,000 (that is as high as anyone has bothered to test.)
Wow.  I'd heard of 400-500...  Our max is about 50 so far.

>Q2: What load can a P133/64MB cope with?
>A2: Well, other significant factors are disk type/speed and CPU L2 cache
>    size.  However, a 486-66 can sustain a load of about 5 conn/sec, so
>    you are really looking at > 10 conn/sec, 600 conn/min, 36,000 conn/hour.

>Q3: What load can a 128kbps ISDN ?
>A3: 128kbps == 16kBytes/sec.  Since the average Web document is about
>    15kBytes, you should be able to sustain a load of 1 conn/sec.
Our files are mostly shorter so you get a few more hits.

>Note that the capabilities of the P133 are *much* greater than the 128k link.

Amen...  You really only need the pentium if you're running news or if
there are some database cgi's.  That's even true on T1's, though it
is getting closer.  I don't know how the kernel ip lookup is for virt
hosts; if you get too many there may be a time sink in the packet interrupt
handler.  On the other hand, pentia are cheap enough and it never hurts
to have too much power...

>Most of my customers' virtual servers get between 5,000 and 30,000
>connections per month: less than 100 per hour.

One server I deal with is a P120 with 32mb; it has 1.2mil hits in december so
far, with only 3 virt hosts out of 47 over 100k (and only 4 more over 10k;
most sites are very little visited) The biggest comes to 15k/day or
about 1 every 4 or 5 seconds.

1.2e6/(30*86400) = about 1 every 2 seconds overall.  Of course, this
load is really *very* bursty so the average means nothing; the big site is
sending very little text and lots of small pictures (no, it isn't an
"adult" site; it's mostly in a language with a non-roman alphabet so
everything has to be sent as graphics).

This machine runs anon ftp too with about 1.5-3k hits/day of 1/2 meg
average.

Right now, top shows 100% idle with 17m memory active...

-- Pete