Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:34:55 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG

>Matthew Thyer <thyerm@satech.net.au> writes:
>>This is ridiculous.
>>
>>FreeBSD 3.X is CURRENT!
>
>how about
>
>2.1-past
>2.2-present
>3.0-future
>
>which actually explains it, but then again, so does just the number,
>but in order to actually make it all understandable for new folks:
>
>2.1-previous
>2.2-current
>(or simply 2.2-release)

Sorry. 2.2-RELEASE was yesterday. Today's 2.2 tree is (slightly) different :-)

>3.0-experimental

The "problem" is that some of the entrenched people who get the dictate
what happens understand the distinctions but fail to the able to see the
situation from the point-of-view of the "general public". They prefer THEIR
interpretation because that is the interpretation to which THEY are
accustomed. I fear that they are suffering from the all too common
problem of being too close to something to see the broader perspective.