Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 10:54:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: divert still broken?

> > That doesn't mean that drop isn't a better keyword, and should be made an
> > alias for deny. Although, if it wasn't for backwards compability (which we
> > should keep, IMHO) then it would be better with:
> >
> > drop      : be silent
> > deny      : send RST
> > reject    : send ICMP !H
> > netreject : send ICMP !N
> >
> > But... that's not gonna happen, because we want backwards compability,
> > so just forget I said it... :-)
>
> *laugh* I see what you are saying and No, I don't think we can rearrange
> the keywords that much.  deny/reject/netreject/resest will be it, I think.

I like this.  Is there any way you could institute a "version" keyword
for command language versioning, at the top of the file?  If not
present, it falls back to the last grammar before the version keyword.
You can "unsupport" a grammar by disallowing a version (it's unlikely
that the grammar would change that significantly, though).

Then you could normalize the command language at this point in time
with the first known non-null version for the config file grammar.

You want the new features?  Well, buddy, you must put a varsion
stamp in an fix the grammar entries.

It's be pretty easy to cascade-convert an existing rules set with a
sed script that starts by converting the old to the new keywords,
and does it in "# of keywords" passes so that you never have two
sets of meaning for "deny" (for example).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---