Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Listen queue overflows and SOMAXCONN

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> If I have to, I will stop running the servers out of inetd, or build

  I would.  inetd will really hurt your ability to handle lots of
connections.  inetd is single threaded.  It accepts a single connection,
then forks, and execs, then accepts another connection.  So basically, you
get the time it takes to fork, and exec delay between accepting every
connection.  Not too good.

  If you run in daemon mode, you always save the exec time, plus apache
can pre-fork a number of daemons to save you that time as well.
Basicallly, a big win.

> another machine to share the load, but I'm sure FreeBSD should be able to
> handle this load easily.  The machine is a P133 on Gigabyte 512k m/b 48MB
> RAM, ncr scsi with SCSI-2 disks.  top says load average=0.3 and Idle=90%
> There are 254 IP addresses aliased to lo0.

  Basically load isn't getting very high, because it isn't working very
efficiently.

  I belive fork times are a bit faster in 2.2-stable.

  Also, compiling httpd static might speed your exec times (and fork?).
Basically shared libraries don't need to considered during the exec.

> /*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
> /*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
> /*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */

Tom