Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 01:27:03 -0600
From:      Tom Jackson <tom@my.domain>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: umount cdrom...sony cdu31a

On Fri, Nov 21, 1997 at 08:29:53PM -0800, Kwoody wrote:

> I had my cd in the drive (main install cd for FBSD 2.1.7). Changed the cd
> to the live file system. Went and changed to the /cdrom dir and got
> bash: /cdrom: input/output error.

not sure about this. are you running the live file system at this point?

> I then got the message on another vt  scd0: media changed.

just a log message, nothing to concern you

> I cant umount the disk and I cant mount it again either.
> I had this happen a long while back adn I think I ended up rebooting to
> fix it.

above makes no sense, either the cdrom is mounted or dismounted! su to root
and issue the mount command, it will show what is mounted. To umount, make
sure you have nothing in the /cdrom directory tree, if you do, you cannot
umount it :)

> Now ive had and uptime of over 20 days(for me a record) and have had rc5
> pounding away in the background for 5 straight days now and would rather
> not reboot if I can help it.
>
> thanks.

you can stop the rc5 client, reboot and pick up where you left off.

Regards,

Tom