Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 23:09:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        freebsd@atipa.com (Atipa)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gack, again! 3DFX cards.

According to Atipa:
> > The performance of Voodoo is lousy. It can't handle a single 3D operation
> > (in a window). Voodoo rush can handle lots. Therefor the rush has much
> > better performace. :-) :-)  Quake isn't the ONLY thing you can use 3D
> > accelerators for, ya know. Loosing a little fps in fullscreen can
> > easilly be worth it if you gain it back elsewhere (VRLM, etc).
>
> Well, since the majority of feedback wrt voodoo, etc., is coming NOT from
> 3D programmers but from hard-core gamers, I think you can understand my
> skewed exposre to the chips :) If you have done your homework, I
> caertainly belive you over my "sources".

Well, the Voodoo certainly is faster then the Voodoo rush, but not that much.
Depends on how hot you are for getting the last few FPS. :-)  I can't say
I've done my homework very well, but I believe the Voodoo Rush chip is a
modified Voodoo chip that can be piggy-backed on a 2D chip, and can output
the 3D to a window, whereas the Voodoo can only work on a full screen.

> That was a joke! That is very cool to see MS using FreeBSD. Where did you
> hear that?

I must have missed the smiley. ;-)   Actually I figured it was a joke, but
didn't put a smiley in my comment either. :-P

And... I believe I was shown "telnet <something>.microsoft.com", by a friend
and it gave the friendly FreeBSD login prompt we're all used to. I'm not
going to swear on it, though. :-)

  /Mikael