Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 17:39:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        andreas@knobel.gun.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

> > Learning vi is one of those things you have to do to admin an unix box.
> > If command line editing and mode based editors isn't your thing there
> > are other OS's you can use :-)
>
> Exactly this is one of the reasons why people move to other
> braindamaged OS like hell (seen on the whole).
>
> We have to provide simple tools as well as the traditional
> ones to make an OS attractive.
>
> Don't take me too serious ;-) But this is in my opineon one of
> the reasons, why windows has won the battle on desktop machines.
>
> Better user interfaces and less expensive application would have
> been a big plus for Unix operating systems ...

Well, what I was really getting at is that Unix is not trivial to administer
and having the default editor be vi gets you off on the right foot :-)

Seriously, there's so much you have to learn before you can run an unix
box that the idea that ee is going to stop people switching is rather
amusing.

People use windows because it *is* easier to use if all you want to do
is word process and run spreadsheets. I think it's foolish to try and
win over the masses to Unix. We should make it very good at what it's best
at and I don't see that market going away anytime soon. The only possible
threat is NT rather than windows. Trying to win over every desktop user out
there is not a great idea.

Incidentally, what editor does Linux use by default? If anything's winning
the battle for DOS/Windows users it's Linux.

Don't try and turn FreeBSD into something else or the core unix users
will not feel comfortable with it and we'll end up losing not gaining
users. I'm serious about the documentation issue. New users will not
find any documentation on ee out there, all those beginner books talk
about vi (and possibly emacs) so those who really have switched to unix
and want to learn how to use it will have another hurdle to jump over
before they can even start.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155