Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 15:07:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au (Andrew)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running a shell instead of getty?

> I solved that with the help of
> login.access but ftp dosn't apparently work when you have no password. I
> created another user with a password and put us both in the same group and
> have a script that rns from cron that copies the permissions from the user
> field to the group field for every file owned by either user but its still
> a hastle.
>
> If I could just run shells on my Vs things would be much easier :-)

All this just to avoid logging in?  Sounds like walking a mile to avoid
jumping a foot, to me.  ;^)

You can have two users in the passwd file with the same uid.  This would
allow you to login with no password, and use the "other" login name to
login with a password for ftp.

Have you tried just putting 'login username' as the program to run in
/etc/ttys?  This should accomplish what you're looking for without
hacking up anything.