Date:      14 Feb 1997 02:58:59 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UltraSPARC and MicroSPARC vs Pentium Pro ?

Jason Andresen <jandrese@vt.edu> writes:

> It looks like the P6-200 beats the Sparc Ultra I in integer and loses in
> floating point performance.  No suprise there.

> Processor	Clock Rate	SpecInt '95	SpecFloat '95
> Ultra I	167 MHz		6.3		9.4
> P6		200 MHz		8.7		6.7

I realize that clock rate between two separate architectures don't
compare very well at all, but I find it interesting when people
compare x86 hardware to <insert other platform here>, they tend to
choose a higher clockrate for the x86 hardware.

I'd like to see P6-180 (I don't think they make a 166/7...) verses the
Ultra I.

To change the subject somewhat...

It would also be interesting to see a comparison between the 500MHz
Alpha (or any of the new alphas... they start at 366MHz) and the
P6-200.

>From what I see in the ad here, a 500 MHz Alpha is priced to be fairly
competetive with the P6-200.  Too bad for WinNT 4.0 it only runs the
Alpha in 32 bit mode (according to this ad).

The 366MHz Alpha is even within the price range of a lot of home
buyers.  That price of $3k looks extremely attractive!  I think I'm
going to start saving my pennies.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com) | ALL unsolicited commercial email
Support bacteria -- it's the only         | is unwelcome.  I avoid dealing