Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:00:30 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Carl Makin <cmakin@nla.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Carl Makin wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Mark Mayo wrote:
>
> This to throw a can amoungst the pigeons! Even if the code is not of US
> origin, if the links it is being passed over go through US territory does
> that make it subject to US restrictions.
>
> >From previous incidents it would seem that the US government thinks so.
>
> I just remember an incident when money was being sent from Australia to
> Korea (I think) for helping blind ppl and it went through a US bank.  It
> was seized by the US govt as the US had restrictions on what could be sent
> to that country (which Australia didn't).  I believe that took a high
> level diplomatic exchange to resolve.

That is why Luxembourg and Switzerland exist.  (Tongue somewhat in cheek,
no flames please.)

> Seeing as most of Australia's Internet links go via the US then would that
> make it illegal (in the US) for us to retrieve DES stuff from Canada?

This is very much an arguable point, and I think the FBI might have given
up here.  You don't see many people being prosecuted for fetching ssh
from Finland, or SSLeay from Australia or PGP from New Zealand, no matter
where they are.

Danny