Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 1997 23:24:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: several networking questions ...

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:

>  This is in fact false. Many terminal server manufactureres support
> multi-link protocol (not to be confused with ISDN bonding which is a
> different thing.)  You will however need to ask your ISP is he supports
> multilink ppp.  and it also makes a differnce if your multiple phome lines
> don't come into the same device. (they probably wil need to)

  Cisco and Ascend network access servers (not just for terminals) support
multilink on both modem and ISDN.  Livingston only supports multilink on
ISDN (for the moment, as the PM3 is supposed to support multilink modem
shortly).

  On dialin access, Livingston PM3's can appear as a single device, and
will successfully link channels over multiple units.  Configuration is
easy.  Cisco can also link over multiple units, but if you have more than
two in the group, it best if you use a "helper" router (another Cisco
doing route load balancing).  I'm not sure how Ascend is handling this
problem, as we got rid of our one and only MAX long ago.

Tom