Date:      Sun, 03 May 1998 01:49:31 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.freebsd.org acting funny?

>>    ncftp and ncftp2 work fine. What is broken is that people expect that
>> passing arguments to the "ls" command will be interpreted on the other
>> end when the RFC specifically says otherwise. RFC 959 is quite specific
>> about the behavior of the NLST command (which is what 'ls' does in ncftp):
>
>Except that just issuing a "ls" in at least some versions of ncftp2
>_doesn't_ work.

   Oh, okay, thanks for pointing that out. To this point I was assuming that
the user was typing "ls -CF", and not that the ncftp client was adding this
on (THAT is clearly wrong as far as the RFC is concerned). It's pretty clear
that I'm going to have to implement some sort of work around for this. :-(

-DG

David Greenman