Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:39:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      zenin@www.archive.rhps.org (Zenin)
To:        gnut@cki.ipri.kiev.ua (Oles Hnatkevych)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kill -9

>   I got a process (bash) that is not killed even by kill -9.
> and it blocks my ttyv0. What the hell is that? ;-)
>   ps ax writes:
> 317   v0-  IEs+  0:00.00 (bash)
>   what is the process that can not be killed by -9 ? ;-)

	One that is stuck in a system call, such as maybe one interacting
	with ttyv0 while the ttyv0 driver is toast.  Ps will do this too
	on SGI (and maybe others) if utmp gets hosed for instance.  Such
	processes are locked in a kernel state they can't get out of, and
	so can't be killed.  Reboot if you can, or fix the problem and
	ignore the lost pids.

-Zenin
 zenin@archive.rhps.org