Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:08:34 +1100 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au (Adrian Chadd)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   screen (was dup3() - ...)

> > And if you said 'y' you'd get your old process tree back, everything
> > right where you left it.
> >

> Not that I was old enough at the time, but screen does this *grin* .. I'm
> sure with enough mucking bout you could get it to "time" out as such, I
> actually run it every time I dialup my ISP and have it do something very
> similar to what you described. :)
>
> Have fun,
>
> Adrian Chadd

screen -h2000, a 21" grey-scale monitor and a 170x60 (8x16 font) text console,
is a fantastic programing enviroment.

Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal
between several processes (typically interactive shells).
Each virtual terminal provides the functions of a DEC VT100 terminal and, in
addition, several control functions from the ANSI X3.64 (ISO 6429) and ISO
2022 standards (e.g. insert/delete line and support for multiple character
sets). There is a scrollback history buffer for each virtual terminal and a
copy-and-paste mechanism that allows moving text regions between windows.

More recent versions of screen support file-style access permisions per-screen
for multiple-user attaches.

--> /usr/ports/misc/screen

--
Prof. Julian Assange  |If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people
proff@iq.org          |and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
proff@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery